Expected to double the mine life
The Karowe diamond mine, located in Botswana, is a state-of-the-art mine which was fully commissioned in Q2 2012. Karowe, which means precious stone in the local language, is a large-scale asset with tonnage and throughput upside and is one of world’s foremost producers of large, high quality, Type IIA diamonds in excess of 10.8 carats, including the historic 1,758 Sewelô, the 1,109 carat Lesedi La Rona and the 813 carat Constellation.
- 100% - Lucara Botswana (Pty) Ltd.
- Hard rock. Open pit. Mine plan to depth of 324 m.
- Mine development and production
- MINE LIFE:
- Open pit operations to 2026 with further underground potential
- 2.5 - 2.8 mtpa
Karowe Mine Summary
RESOURCES AND RESERVES
The mine plan is based on:
- Probable reserves from surface to a depth of 324 m below surface of 19.84 mt containing 2.6 million carats, total Mineral Reserve (including stockpiles) of 25.40 mt containing 2.96 million carats (effective date of May 25, 2018, based on 1.25mm bottom cut off size and 70% of the insitu carats at 1.00 BCOS).
- A total Indicated resource from surface to a depth of 600 m below surface of 57 mt containing 7.9 million carats including stockpiles (effective date of May 25, 2018, based on 1.25mm bottom cut off size and 70% of the insitu carats at 1.00 BCOS).
- Inferred resource from 600 m to 750 m below surface of 1.93 mt containing 1.17 million carats.
2020 CAPITAL PROGRAM
Sustaining capital and project expenditures are expected to be up to $25.0 million in 2020, including expenditures associated with the construction of an additional slimes dam (this is a multi-year project), upgrades to the XRT recovery circuit and a provision for the implementation of body scanning technology to enhance security which had originally been planned for 2019, subject to receipt of the regulatory approval. In addition, Lucara has committed to several community investments and optimization initiatives in 2020.
Karowe 2020 operating cash costs are forecast to be between $32.00 - $36.00 per tonne including waste mined, contract mining and process plant operations.
Karowe Diamond Mine
Recovered Jul 18, 2019
2018 Underground FS underway
Positive outcome, Phase 3 plant upgrade (4-8mm XRT)
Recovered Nov 17, 2015
Recovered Nov 16, 2015
Start of large diamond recoveries
FS updated and Lucara acquires 100% ownership
Renewed delineation and sampling in early 2000’s
Sold for over $1 million each
10 single diamonds
Sold for over $10 million each
2.8 million carats